Friday, April 2, 2010

Grey Gardens

I had several people ask me what I thought about the HBO movie Grey Gardens. I thought I would do a quick post about it and give you my review. First off, Poot and I watched the original documentary that was filmed in 1975 of Edith Bouvier Beal and her daughter Edie.




This documentary was fantastic. I was glued from the first scene. These woman are so fasinating, entertaining, and heartbreaking all at the same time. Their bond as mother and daughter is incredible but sad. Even though I didn't know what they were arguing about most of the time, I didn't care I wanted to keep watching. If you have a Netflix account you can actually watch this documentary online. (Two Poots recommends that you watch the documentary first if you can)

We had heard that the HBO movie with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange was just as good, so we couldn't wait to get it from Netflix!! This movie was so good! Everything from the costumes, home interiors, and accents were spot on. Both Drew and Jessica were perfectly cast for these roles. What I loved most about this movie was that it dives into their personal lives a lot more. You get a glimpse into what their lives use to be like before they ended up living in the conditions they did!



(All images found on google search)
I am so intrigued by these two woman, especially Little Edie!! I have found several books on amazon that I am wanting to order because our local library doesn't carry them. I want to know more about these woman!!

Have you seen either of these movies? Were you as fascinated as we were?
XOXO
Amber

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I really want to see this movie I just love Drew Berrymore :)

carrie

Becky Farley said...

My sister and I both have been wanting to watch it! Glad to hear you guys liked it! I'm completely curious about it, because honestly I don't know much about the story. Is it on HBO or can you only get it off netflix?

Amber said...

Becky...You can get them both on netflix. You can watch the original online and then order the new HBO one...or you get them both in the mail. I have watched the documentary several times. I knew nothing about them before hand.

Anonymous said...

You must, Must, MUST watch the documentary first. It sets you up for a greater appreciation of the HBO film. I have watched the movie four times so far and I never get tired of it. It is fascinating on so many levels: as a depiction of the crumbling aristocracy, a portrait of codependency gone to its worst extreme, an unflinching look at madness, a real-life comedy with a tragic underbelly... there is so much going on here. I only wish I had dramatized it first!
Yours,
Big Poot

Dottie and June said...

Wow a post from Big Poot!! lol Too cute! Hi Big Poot!!! :DD
I have not heard of this movie at all. What/who is it about? Is there a website I can read about it?
<3
Kjirsten
http://sewgraciouslyblessed.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I am dying to see both... you two have really piqued my curiosity! I can't wait!

<3
Kerry