Sunday, April 28, 2013

Road to getting FIT!!


Like many people on a "diet" things go really well for a couple of weeks and then slowly fizzle off. I am the queen of excuses. You name it, I have probably used it. "Oh I forgot my socks, I can't go to the gym." or "I am so tired" or "I just don't have enough time" or "My hair doesn't look good today". Seriously you name it, I have used it.

Every time I would try to jump back on the wagon I just couldn't seem to make it stick. So why now? What has made it stick this time? Well, where do I begin? I am 5'2".So although my number on the scale might not seem that bad, factor in my shortness and it is another story. Growing up weight was never an issue. Of course I was very active in High School with cheerleading and tennis. But I would seriously eat a pop tart for breakfast, a Mountain Dew and Funyuns for lunch, swing through McDonalds drive through after school for the two cheeseburger combo meal, and then would eat what ever dinner my mom would make me. How did this never seem to effect me? In all honesty it was. I never really thought about what I was putting into my body and how it made me feel. I might not of been gaining weight but I was gaining a poor eating habit.

In college I was pretty much the same way, however, by my senior year I was trying to incorporate some form of exercise into my week. Not a lot by any means, but I do remember doing some Abs of Steel videos with my roommates or going to the campus gym where we would end up talking more than "working out". I had started noticing that when I would eat certain foods, I wouldn't feel so hot. I was feeling more run down and my stomach was giving my fits all the time.

Fast forward 5 years, and I am visiting with my allergist. He kept insisting that I do a food panel to see if there were any foods that I might be allergic to. I was afraid, because honestly, I knew the truth. I knew that whatever it was that I was putting in my body had left me bloated 24/7 for the past year. I finally reached my breaking point and decided to do the food panel. As I suspected the panel came back and I was severely allergic to gluten. After getting over the fact that I would no longer be consuming Long John Silvers or beer, I wiped my tears, and decided to make a lifestyle change.

It has now been 7 years of living gluten free and I would never go back. Of course that road was very bumpy at times and I would fall off, but quickly realize that the big bowl of spaghetti just wasn't worth it. Now a lot of people think that by living a gluten free lifestyle that you are "so healthy" and "eat all the right things". I am here to tell you that is wrong. In fact eating gluten free left me at my heaviest weight and very unfit. Sure, I felt better because I wasn't eating pop tarts, donuts, and pizza, but I was still consuming the wrong types of food and was NOT active at all.

Two months ago I woke up and was just tired of beating myself up over feeling so run down, overweight, and frankly not believing in myself. I was never able to say anything nice about myself because all I saw was an overweight person staring back at me. After seeing several of my instagram friends joining Weight Watchers, I became curious. I was ready for a change and this program seemed to be just what I needed. I had also been doing a lot of research on Clean Eating, and had been slowly cleaning out our cupboards. This way of life just seems to make sense. I started to believe in myself and that I could do this. Going to the gym is now something I look forward to. I actually miss it on the days I am not there. After two months of being on Weight Watchers, eating clean, and working out I have lost 8 lbs. I have a long journey ahead of me but I wake up every morning excited to work towards this goal. And that goal now is to just be as healthy as I can be!

I know that most people have that "aha" moment when something happens to them to make them realize they are ready for a change. I am not sure I actually had one particular moment, but rather several of them that just started to pile up and finally came knocking on my door!

**I will be posting later this week with my thoughts on Weight Watchers and Clean Eating!! So stay tuned!**

Also I would love to here about your road to getting FIT! What works for you? What doesn't??

XOXO
Amber

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Poot!
I try to do a little something every day, as far as exercise goes. Even if it's just 10-15 minutes, or at least it's something. If I have more time through the week, I try to plan what workout I'm going to do what day--that way, I don't overwork a certain muscle group. If I'm at a loss, I might just do a cardio workout and call it good. Working out at home to videos or printed routines works for me better than going out to a gym. I find it easier to concentrate on my own than in a class or with CNN/sports blaring over the treadmills.
Planning dinner/lunch for the week is always a good thing, too, as is shopping carefully.
And, the most important: having ONE day a week where I eat what I want or don't work out. That way, I have something to look forward to when I get tired of working out, and I don't get burned out.
Glad to hear the journey's been successful!
--Dawn S.

One eye wonder dog said...

Proud of you honey.......

Unknown said...

You're an inspiration!